Friday, October 24, 2008

It will only pinch for a moment

Those are the words we heard as children when it was time for the dreaded trip to the doctor's office. Dreaded not because we disliked our pediatrician, but because we were likely to get a shot. Even the choice of a sucker did not quickly dry the tears. But those vaccinations were necessary to keep us healthy. Fast forward to adulthood and we find ourselves in the position of having to get a shot to protect us from the flu. As employees of BJC, the influenza vaccination (or nasal mist) is now mandatory. I confess that I experienced my first flu shot in 2007 when we had the voluntary push for employees to take the vaccine. Not that I was afraid of the pinch, but because I remembered the Swine Flu debacle in the 1970s and because I never got the flu. However, thanks to the information that was shared in 2007, it became clear to me why getting a flu shot was not only the right thing to do, but the smart thing to do. So this week, I will happily roll up my sleeve and take my shot. As employees of the largest health care provider in the state, we are setting an important example and ensuring that we are doing everything we can for the safety of our patients. I urge each of us to take advantage of the free flu shot and to remember, it will only pinch for a moment.

1 comment:

Poetry Scores said...

Oh also June, this would get more attention with a nice pic of a needle going into an arm. You can use Google image or stock photos or shoot your own pics. It's easy to upload - look for the icon that looks like a blue horizon. Click on it then browse for where you've saved the image. Upload the photo last though, since it messes up your paragraph breaks a bit ...