Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Work and Fun -- Mutually Exclusive Events???

Many of you have heard me say that I think it is important to enjoy what you do for a living. After all, the vast majority of our weekday waking hours are spent working. The days go by a lot faster if we feel that what we do makes a difference; we have co-workers with whom we can share the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat; and if we can sometimes have a good old-fashioned belly-laugh because something is so darned funny. I am fortunate that I get to experience these things -- not all the time, but some of the time. In large part, it is because of the very talented BJC communications and marketing team I have the honor of leading. Last Friday, our team had some 'planned fun' taking a little bit longer at lunch and enjoying ourselves at Dave & Busters. While taking time for this kind of fun opportunity is important, it is the thrill of solving a work challenge together that I really enjoy. Whether we solve the challenge with words, pictures, video, the web or a combination, the role of our team in helping to tell the story of BJC and our hospitals and services is a value-added one. Are we perfect? Absolutely, not. But, are we committed to doing the best work possible for our clients each and every time? Absolutely. Is this always easy? I wish. But, fortunately most of the time we do get it right. And that to me makes work fun. What about work is fun for you?

2 comments:

Karen Stewart said...

As a mega ticket winner on the Deal or No Deal game (though Sylvia made me bail out right before I won the REALLY big prize, though I'm not blaming her at all) I want to say our outing was a fabulous success. Thanks - it was lots of fun and nice to just sit and talk with everyone.

Sylvia said...

Sorry, Karen! I just didn't want to see you lose big like I did! I found myself more concerned about winning than I really should have been, especially with "fake" money. I can see how gambling could be addictive. Editorial note: What a great idea to raise the loss limits in Missouri...