Thursday, October 9, 2008

When's the upside of this roller coaster ride

When I was little I hated roller coasters for one reason -- the feeling in my stomach as the coaster took the downward plunge. For my siblings that was the thrill. Well, the downward plunge we have been on for the past week has been anything but a thrill as we all anxiously wait for the stock market to do what roller coasters do -- go back up! As I wait, very nervously I admit, I am trying to ensure I am doing everything I can to not panic, to not make any rash decisions, and to make small changes that will help me to save more, spend less (probably what I should be doing anyway). As readers know, I started taking Metro to work and have now expanded to using it to run errands -- saving wear and tear on the car and totally reducing the amount of money I spend on gasoline. I am also not eating out at lunch and dinner as often. To the shock of my husband and our last still-at-home daughter, I have cooked dinner every night this week (I added up the dollars spent on grabbing Mexican from Qdobo or healthy stuff from Crazy Bowls & Wraps or saying "let's meet at Houlihans" and realized we could do much better). I am placing into the recycle bin the Macy's, Talbots, Harolds, Black House/White Market mailings as soon as they come in the mail, lest I be tempted by the Season's Biggest Sale with a 25% additional off coupon to match (yes, I love to shop).
Indeed these are very scary times, but I am thankful that I work for BJC (health care is a much more stable employer than many); am trying to remember that when it comes to retirement savings, when stock prices are low it is a buying opportunity; and focusing on what kept me going as a child on those roller coaster rides was knowing they would be going back up and eventually coming to rest.
I'd love to hear things you are doing or have heard others are doing to weather this economic storm. Please share.

6 comments:

Karen Stewart said...

I've added up how much I spend when I go out to grab lunch and have put myself on a stricter routine of staying in and bringing from home. Not only am I throwing away less food at home, I'm hoping it will show on my waist line - and waste line.

June said...

It is amazing how quickly eating out adds up. It is the first thing we cut back on at our house. I am going to try to get disciplined enough to bring lunch in and like you hope to see some overall reductions!
J

Poetry Scores said...

My wife Karley and I commute together twice a week which we didn't do before. This is also gives us more time to argue about how well the Obama campaign is doing (I mean, to "talk about our day"). Also, she eyes every beer I buy with more suspicion. I spend just as much more money on beer, but she spends a little more time on suspicion.

Your blog is a good idea June, keep it up.

June said...

Dear Confluence,
Remind your wife of the nutritional value of beer -- hops, barley, etc -- all vegetables that have to be good for you, right? And the little things (like letting one car rest a couple days a week) really do add up. And even though the roller coaster headed in the right direction yesterday, I plan to continue practicing more frugality in my life.

brigid said...

I would like to tell you the reason I buy most of my clothes second-hand -- even work clothes (gasp!) -- is to weather the economic storm, but it wouldn’t be true. I buy most of my clothes from Goodwill and other resale shops because I hate malls. And because it’s a form a recycling. And because I’m cheap.

It all started in college because in the ‘80s, buying from resale stores was cool and trendy. (Where else would one find a de rigueur avocado green bowling shirt?) These days it's part of my routine to drop off clothes I no longer wear at the loading dock behind Goodwill on Forest Park Boulevard, and then go around to the front door to shop.

So the next time you see me, ask me how much my blouse cost. I’ll probably tell you it was $3. (Jealous much?)

June said...

Brigid,
That is impressive! I too have shopped at Goodwill, but primarily for household items -- especially dishes (one of my addictions). Don't know if you saw that there was recently a haute couture fashion show with all the clothes coming from Goodwill. Got a lot of media attention and while Macy's and other stores are reporting declines in profits, Goodwill is seeing increases. Maybe others are becoming as saavy as you. Can't wait to see you and ask "How much did that cost?"
J