Friday, October 17, 2008

When your work day turns our differently

I had everything planned for how I would spend Friday, October 17. A 9:00 meeting this morning that would only last about 45 minutes, followed by a quick 'surprise' visit to staff at what we affectionately call 9890 and the Tab, then lunch with Director of Marketing for one of our other hospitals, a meeting on I-64 and then plowing through the piles on my desk and credenza. Of course that was before I was alerted at 5:20 a.m. to the news that there had been a fire at BJSPH and that patients and staff had been evacuated. At least that was the story on the news. The facts were quite different, but a fire at a site takes on a life of its own and zaps any plans you had for how you would spend your work day. There was no evacuation, the fire was contained to a mechanical facility and the hospital was back to normal operations within an hour and a half thanks to the great work of staff and the local fire departments. So, I sit here at 5:33 p.m. now that everything is under control (in our world, that means the facts have now been communicated to as many audiences as we can think of) and wonder if I should now try to make the piles on my desk and credenza smaller or give in to the fact that I am no longer 32 and my energy sometimes depletes faster than it used to and head home. Which scenario do you think won out and why?

No comments: