Friday, December 5, 2008

Maybe we are not BLOG-Ready

So, I am over two weeks late posting my weekly message and no one has taken me to task. Does this mean that perhaps our Department is not BLOG-ready? Should I perhaps be communicating via weekly e-mail blasts? Or, am I just imagining that the questions asked in my weekly messages are provocative enough to invite comments from you? Are, or we in the age group that has not yet embraced regular use of social media? You may remember that when I began this journey, it was part research to see if BLOGGING has a place as a regular form of communication for BJC? Based on the experience so far, I would say we might be a bit premature in recommending this to leadership as an appropriate method of two-way communication. One of the non-BJC regular readers of this BLOG has suggested I spice it up with photos and other visuals to add interest. Others have suggested that I send out a reminder that there is a new post. Others noted that readers could 'book-mark' the site, so that they would know to occassionally visit. So, I am asking are we BLOG-ready or should this form of communication for our department be abandoned in favor of more traditional methods? I really do look forward to hearing from you.
J

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

June:

I have to admit, I forgot about the blog for the first couple weeks. Once I was reminded about it, I caught up on the few postings I missed, and have been checking it weekly ever since. I've reminded people about it in several team meetings and encouraged them to check it regularly and provide feedback. But, I know I find it an "extra" thing to do since it's not connected to checking e-mail or the main page of the intranet site, things I am accustomed to doing daily. I've bookmarked the site, but there's nothing that really prompts me to look at it other than curiosity if there's a new post. I like the idea of it, but there's still something missing that integrates it into what we do.

Thanks,
Sylvia

Emily B said...

In my experience, it takes quite some time to gain readership of a blog. I've found the best way to get readers coming back and commenting are photos, links, giveaways and consistent posting. Hope that helps!

Patt said...

June, you're a vice president. Do you really think somebody's going to take you to task for not posting on time?

I have the site bookmarked; and I have a post-it on my monitor with the URL, my username and my password. I go to the site often. I read. If I don't feel a burning need to comment, however, I move on.

Comments aren't reflective of readership . . . maybe engagement (enough to take action). I agree with Emily that it takes time to build regular readership. Checking a blog is a habit that needs to be developed.

Re Sylvia's comment that "there's still something missing that integrates it into what we do," is that what the blog's supposed to do? If so, Sylvia may be on to something.

June said...

Hmmmn, interesting comments all (except for Patt telling me no one will take me to task "Oh, but that were the case"). I appreciate the feedback and realize that I have been using comments as the barometer for readership and that is faulty. I read BLOGs and rarely leave a comment -- even when a direct question is asked. I will ponder what you all have shared and see if there is a way to make the site more visually interesting (even though importing, downloading, uploading, etc are not second nature to me).
J

Kim K said...

I have an entirely different reason for not having left a comment ... trouble mastering the "Leave a comment" process. Don't even ask. But, to Patt's point, I read the posts; I just generally don't feel compelled to respond. That's true of any blog I read. I can understand why that makes you feel you are keying into a giant black hole, but lack of comments isn't necessarily a reflection of readership.

Karen Stewart said...

I've enjoyed reading your postings and have it book marked on my computer. I hope you continue this year. I thought you might like reading the blog Alan Wesley has just started at SSM about his journey with weight loss - it's pretty funny. Go to www.ssmhc.com, then click on the bubble mid-way down the page called "Keeping Your Chins Up."